[T2] Windshield and Rear Hatch Seal

Kevin Guarnotta kguarnotta at usa.net
Fri Jun 13 10:11:49 MST 2014

So I was doing a little work on my Westy recently.

The rear hatch needed to be repainted, and the area around the glass needed
some repair work. I replaced the seal at the same time. The windshield seal
had been leaking so I replaced that as well.

I notice that the new seals basically create a spot for water to accumulate
and sit on the lower lip of the windshield and rear hatch glass. I thought I
had seen seals that are a bit larger, and they have an extra-large lip, so
you don't end up with that spot for water to accumulate.

The seals I used where 'finest quality, German made'. Should I be getting a
different kind? Is there a different kind, or am I imagining it?

-Kevin Guarnotta

Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy

'69 Singlecab