[T2] how to store makeup oil

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 16:25:00 MST 2014

	My June 7 elapsed time 8 h from beautiful downtown Glen Oroua
342 mi home is no rival to Frank Mooney's 420 mi Wellington-Auckland
6'35" proudly illegal Jegwore (Mk II 3.8 {?3.4}) dash, but did serve
to show roads are better than in his day.
	Unsure whether an earlier jotting has appeared on T2 List
(g-mail prohibits return to you of any msg you sent), I'm sending an
edited version more suitable for non-Kiwis.
	The trip featured a cautionary lesson on how to store makeup
oil, beginning with coloured lights in the mirror just N of Tirau.
Since I was not speeding to any significant extent, I was puzzled to
be stopped.  Turned out my VW was spewing bulk "smoke" (actually
droplets of oil, as in warships' "smoke"screens).  My flagon of
makeup oil had fallen over, and the crankshaft pulley had ground a
hole in it, flinging enough oil onto the hot engine to prompt a very
nice cop to pull me over for my own sake.  We had a most cordial
exchange.  He even opened his boot to get me some hand-cleansing
liquid when I'd finished mopping.  The encounter had been so
thoroughly pleasant that I made bold to ask why he hadn't suggested a
ticket for the white smoke.  He admitted that was a technical
possibility, but we were out in the countryside and he had therefore
not thought of booking me.  I then asked him why he had been opening
his Black Book as he came on foot to the front of my vehicle; he said
he'd assumed I would not have a Warrant of Fitness.

	A flagon of oil in the rear L corner will obstruct air intake
no more than the battery in the mirror-image R position.  I intend to
continue this storage position.  Air supply is still far far better
than those stupid flush louvres in the Splittie (& oddly some more
recent Brasil buses).  But I learn the lesson: fit a clamp, or spring
clip or some such, to prevent the flagon from falling over.  I hope
to suggest a design soon, but am hoping someone will let us know a
proven design.

	Also: keep mirrors & rear window clean, the better to see
your own smoke =-O which of course will not stink but may cause delay
even if pleasant.

--
Robt Mann
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand