[T2] Electric fuel pump location

Jonathan Stiles misterstiles at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 09:17:40 MST 2014

MIke,

Are you using a stock FI system?

If so and you want to duplicate the factory engineered setup:
'75-'76 Fuel pump is located on the center rear cross support
'77-'79 Fuel pump is located on the left inner frame rail.

VW moved it in '77 to lessen the pump noise. Even with isolator blocks you
will hear it if it is mounted to the sheetmetal.

The FPR should be installed on the right side of the firewall tin. The
easiest thing to do is to get a '79 model tin that matches your lower tin.

The carburetor pre-heat feature from your '79 interferes with the pressed
area the FPR mounts onto. The FPR is a very solid piece and I havent heard
or seen any leaking failures.

Also, if you use the OG tin, remember to block off the pre-heat hole.

The FPR, however it is mounted, will need to be inside the engine
compartment so the vacuum pressure line can be run from the motor to the
FPR.

Let me know if you would like me to post some photos of all the locations
mentioned.

Jon Stiles