[T2] Brake fluid on 71 bus

Richard F Coombs rfcoombs at syr.edu
Fri Jan 3 09:28:09 MST 2014

I second what Bob says here about the vacuum pump especially when replacing calipers, cylinders, & lines. I wouldn't be without mine - it's great for evacuating large amounts of air, & doubles as my vacuum tester.

However, I always finish with an old fashioned foot-stompin' (DW provides the foot) pressure bleed, since pulling a vacuum on a brake system can cause air infiltration past the chevron seals in the wheel cylinders.

The late Bob Hoover had a good write-up on brake bleeding & flushing, where he warns of this issue. It's still accessible on his blog: http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/search?q=chevron+seal

Richard

'71 hippie Bus "Putt-Putt"
'71 sleeper Bus "Sugar Magnolia"