[T2] Front end getting loose

E Burtis ewdb92 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 9 09:14:03 MST 2014

I'd recommend getting under the bus (wheels on the ground) while someone else slowly turns the steering wheel back and forth (not a lot, just enough to engage the steering system without really turning the wheels).  While they do this, follow the linkage from the steering box to the wheels checking for a delay in motion transfer or odd movements.  Start by looking at the transfer of motion from steering wheel shaft to steering box.  Does the motion transfer immediately or is there some delay as the rubber steering coupler distorts?  Is the coupler cracked?  No?  Check the transfer of motion from the worm spindle to peg shaft.  Any delay that might indicate worn steering box?  Then move on to the drop arm/drag link connection.  Does the drag link move away from the drop arm?  Is there a delay in motion transfer to the drag link?  And so forth on down the line to the wheels.  Replace all parts that don't move as they should.  The ball joints
 would be the only parts I'd recommend a shop tackling - unless you have access to a press.  I found the drag link was my sole issue (the PO had already done ball joints and tie rods) with just a 1/4 in of play translating to ~3 inches of play at the steering wheel.  This link might help:  http://zerotosixtyeventually.wordpress.com/2013/05/21/the-weakest-link-new-draglink/