[T2] Radio, DIN Opening & Rip Van Winkle

volkswagen collector volkswagencollector at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 13:58:35 MST 2014

My 1970 passenger bus has a slightly enlarged radio hole that was filled
with a broken 1990s Audiovox CD player when I got it.  I used a block off
plate for awhile.  It fit well, so the hack job wasn't terrible since the
curves at the corners are still present.  Being young and dumb, well I
still kind of am but that's another story, I did the whole "stereo in the
bus" sort of thing using Blaupunkt parts.  The head unit I wound up with is
a remote controlled Blaupunkt Brisbane SD48 with an SD card slot, AUX front
input, and a USB input; but no CD.  It works very well without skips or
other issues though random isn't a good idea with a 4Gb card due to delays
in playing.  This was probably five years ago, but they may still make one
that is very close in DIN size.  It was a tight squeeze pushing it into the
dash.

I don't recall the specs off hand but from what I remember I ran the wires
under the floor mats and used the spare tire drain hole to run the
amplifier power line to the battery.  60s-80s music such as "Kokomo" and
"Civil War" sounds pretty good in it, new music, not really sure as that's
not my thing.

2ea 5.25" between the front seats, ABS kick panels in the future for
mounting
2ea 6"x9" under the middle seat in boxes
2ea 12" subwoofers in Blaupunkt box in the cargo area
1 425watt amplifier in the cargo area

Being a Sportsmobile your speakers placement would be very different and
nowhere near as excessive as my young 20s mind had devised.

Regards,

Nick