[T2] [Q] Bus Running Rough & Brake Issue (long)

Martin Strandgard mnstra at unimelb.edu.au
Sun Aug 31 15:36:20 MST 2014

>The latest issue is while cruising 60 mph down the road, all of a sudden the bus started running rough and sounding like the muffler was coming loose.  Very "throaty" sound, with loss of some power (bus still ran, but would only accelerate slowly).  Also, the brake peddle got very stiff, and much pressure was felt at first touch; not much play at all.  Upon initial inspection, the brake fluid reservoir was empty, and fluid (DOT 4 synthetic) had to be added.

My guess is at least part of your problem is that the master cylinder has leaked into the brake booster destroying the diaphragm. This would explain the stiff brake pedal and where the brake fluid went. I suggest you don't drive the bus until you work out what the problem is, as it is very hard to stop a vehicle with vacuum assisted brakes when there is no vacuum assist.