[T2] Trip Report: Well that was interesting...

Tom Tarka tommy at slackers.net
Sat Apr 26 14:42:24 MST 2014

Took the '71 up to Pulanski, PA - about a 70 mile trip one way - to pick
up a Porsche drivetrain that came with the 914 project I recently picked up.

The mystery single-port, non-doghouse 1600 did pretty well for it's
first trip on the interstate, running pretty strong and staying at
around 210degF oil temp when I started hitting some of the long hills.
I expect she's running a little rich right now, but H30/31 carbs are
always a bit interesting to deal with.

Arrived, and after a struggle, got the pallet with the drivetrain into
the bus.  I was happy to let the bus cool down a bit. Before leaving, I
went to check/reset the timing and she was running a bit retarded (~10
ATDC for a TDC goal).  The problem is that the SVDA I'm running wasn't
meant for this motor (it's from a '71 fastback, IIRC) and it wasn't
seating right, with the base of the dizzy bumping into the dizzy clamp
nut.  Managed to get it close to TDC, but that only lasted for about a
mile before she popped up and out of her groove (so the rotor didn't
actually turn).

Fun.

Applied some hammering to get it seated, proper timing be ... well, if
not damned, at least acknowledged but not achieved, and went on our
way.  I figured to take state routes on the return trip to keep the temp
down a bit (and wary of how the valves on the new heads might be
settling in).  Unfortunately, the combination of the retarded timing and
traffic lights/construction (with perhaps some carb tuning issues thrown
into the mix) resulted in an occasional stall when stopping, but worse,
a poor "hot start" condition, which made for some interesting and
traffic blocking situations.

We continued though, and managed to not get hit or arrested for blocking
traffic.

The bus was running well under load, and the temp was in a good place
(with me all the while making a checklist of the things I have to do to
get the stock dizzy set up upon my return to home), so I was feeling
pretty good about things as we continued our delightfully slow drive
through the towns and countryside of Western Pennsylvania on a gorgeous
summer day.

About 10 miles from home I passed over a rough patch of road just prior
to a red light, and, while mindful of such things as RPM, avoiding
stalling, cars in front of me, and generally trying to do 5 things at
once, the acrid smell of burning rubber hits my nose as smoke comes
billowing out from the dash.

Ignition off, pull onto the sidewalk, race out and back to pull the
ground-strap (thoughtfully left loose as the headlight relay had been
replaced the evening previous and other bugs are still being worked
out), and breathe as the bus appears to not be on fire. I'm quickly
under the dash and see the melted mass of wire, but opt to leave it for
a moment to cool down and...breathe.

45 minutes later, having convinced myself I could do no further damage
by running the bus, and (hopefully) identifying a now-removed ignition
switch as the culprit of the short, I hot wired the bus, put her in
neutral and started her with a screwdriver. One stall and 10 miles later
we were back in the driveway, safe and sound.

The adventure continues...

Cheers,
    Tom
    '71 hardtop camper