[T2] electronic thermostat

Christophe Guilbert cguilbert at picasso.ucsf.edu
Fri Apr 18 21:44:04 MST 2014

Thanks guys for your inputs.

One of your main concern is that the electronic thermostat fail open.  I
forget to mention it but yes the thermostat fail open. For safety , I
did what Chris D. mentioned.  a spring mounted to the bracket and the
cam shaft (where the cable is attached)  position the servo so that the
flaps are open if anything fails. The servo has to fight the spring
tension to close the flap. If the servo fail or the engine stop, the
servo goes back to position 0 (open flap). I am also planing to add an
alarm (buzzer) if the temperature stay too hight for a certain period of
time like 10'. I can also ask the servo to open the flap by default
after 10' or driving.  I also may hijack the servo so I can monitor the
position of the servo and trigger an alarm if I stay close for a certain
period of time.

I am planing to monitor all kind of temperatures (oil , cylinder III,
outside, .... ), the real advantage is that all information can be
summarized in one LCD screen display. To answer Robert , I will use any
thermocouple sensors already available in our bus but I like the idea of
having an infrared (none contact) temp sensor of the top of cylinder
III. Why just because I can ! ;-)

I want to calibrate the flap opening according to temperature the same
way the original thermostat used to.  I think I will start to use a
thermocouple sensors bolt to the engine (not to the cylinder head) in
the engine compartment and calibrate the opening according to the
original thermostat ( I still have one).

Checking the rpm by slap a tape-recorder head at the flywheel is a great
idea , I already bought one sensor to play with it.

An over ride switch to control the flap opening is easy to setup but if
the electronic thermostat works great , why would you need one ? the
flap control is made with a temp increment of 5deg Centigrade

One of my project is to add a second small oil cooler with a fan. I
found one on ebay from a Harley motorcycle , I will trigger/control it
according to temperature.

And hey why not installing a rear camera for backing up ?!

Ok , time to really test it, hopefully in death valley next week.

Thanks