[T2] Transmission Compatability

David Kelly volknstein at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 19 03:19:24 MST 2013

Hello John,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I removed my transmission and tore it down. I replaced all the seals and adjusted the shims to remove some play. This transmission has never given me any problems and has never popped out of gear. It just seeped fluid out of the seals. I figured that it would run better with some taller gears for freeway travel. Other than that I don't know what else to upgrade.

I looked into the Corvair swap. I shied away because of the cost, availability of parts and service.

The Subie conversion that I was explained uses a Volvo radiator under the belly with 2 10" hi velocity fans. He claimed that he had plenty of air flow and no cooling issues other than working the air bubbles out. He admits that the process did have some hiccups. I have seen some hokey conversions that I wouldn't want to buy second hand. I don't want it to look like a high school science experiment or something off of Junk Yard Wars. I am mechanically inclined, i weld, and worked in a body shop for 5 years so I don't mind a creative project, but I'm no machinist or engine builder. I cannot afford to learn the hard way on expensive parts. I'll leave that part to the experts.

You are right about the age of the Subie motors. It would probably come from a mid 90's model. I looked at Bostig's website. I will give them a call and pick their brains too. Gathering info while I finish the body. I'm getting there. I just hope I finish while my kids are young enough to go camping.

Cheers and thanks!
David

Sent from my iPhone