[T2] Transmission Compatability

David Kelly volknstein at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 18 19:08:45 MST 2013

Thank you for the replies.
I'm considering all my options. Going with aircooled, the average range for a "properly" built longblock from the reputable engine guys mentioned by list members is between $2300-$3500 considering on the options chosen. That does not include new carbs ($500 and up) or a new exhaust ($200~$600 and up). I ran across a fellow that has done a Subaru conversion on a bay. He gave me a run down of what is required. Using a good used low mileage engine, the cost is comparable. You can spend as much as you want on this. I'm still in the research phase as I thought I had saved enough money, but now I realized I have a few more pennies to gather. I'm considering a EJ22 motor (2.2l) SOHC OR A 2.5l DOHC. I think one runs around 130HP normally aspirated and the other 165HP. I was concerned about the ruggedness of my 68 bus acorn nut 3 rib tranny with the water cooled beasts.

David Kelly

Sent from my iPhone