[T2] Removed Westfalia's plywood subfloor

J Stafford sunbus at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 14 18:02:29 MST 2013

Good afternoon,

To replace the old plywood floor, I sourced 5' x 5' x 12mm birch plywood in
an unfinished state.  Trimmed to fit, then primed and painted 5 sides with leftover

house paint.  The 6th side will be painted with glue and the reused linoleum.
And to replace the long interior panel behind the driver, 4' x 8' x 4mm birch ply
sheet.  Only one side is finished, from the same lumberyard

http://www.kelly-wright.com/index.html
The Westfalia plywood furniture is showing some age.  It appears to have been
assembled without glue in the joints held together with wire staple fasteners.  No
nails, no screws.  I'm cleaning, glueing and wire brad nailing it back together
where it has begun to fall apart.

Alot of filthy grime had made it's way up through the hole in the floor for the sink
drain pipe.  The ice box/sink combo bottom piece was a mess.  Found some of the
Dempster Hwy in there.  The rubber shield to cover up the hole underneath will be
recreated and installed.

Questions:

Should any wood finish be applied to the unfinished side of the new interior panel?

Or to the 40-year-old plywood furniture?

Looking to replace shrunken and/or missing Westfalia white T-molding; any ideas?

The left side of the bus has no insulation at this time. Shall I attempt to duplicate the
type/amount of stock insulation?

I would have looked toward the Type2 archive for advice, but it's not available
at this time.  Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place/URL.  Have a nice weekend,

-Jack  '73 Westfalia