[T2] trans oil

John Anderson wvukidsdoc at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 15:16:27 MST 2013

Robert,

This one is debated still,  A lot of manufacturers state the high pressure and stabilizer packages in todays GL-5's are safe for "yellow metals", but some still say not.  The concern is the early non moly coated synchro's mostly (not found in syncro's ha ha).  Here in the US GL-4's are still out there, in dino oils, but particularly in some synthetics.  I had always used Redline MT90 or MTL, but the syncro guys found them to fall out of favor in high HP driven 094 4wd boxes, even with the cooling mod plates.  Anyway they were failing more than they used to, and Daryl at AA Transaxle (who I trust ultimately), who had used them for years eventually changed as well.  The current recc's are a couple Swepco choices 201 or 203, and oddly enough, 1 of them (escapes me their numbers.)  Daryl's site doesn't specify in his FAQ.  Richard Atwell pans 201 on his site, but I think that is not from great experience, but I will note again the syncro guys
 have mostly moly coated synchros, so what is good for an 094 to handle abuse and HP (better R&P life with the Swepco compared to the Redlines) may not be great for an 002.

BTW as I understand it in the Swepco line 80w90=201, 80w90 + MoS2=203, 80w140=210, 80w140 + MoS2=212

There is a lot of data on samba and in the syncro list discussions, but I'd just shoot Daryl and email, and ask what he recc's currently for an 002 box.  He's a real solid guy.  I think you'd be fine regardless with your Castrol, but who does really know.

John