[T2] enhance engine build tips

Joe St.Croix spotop at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 10:13:50 MST 2013

Albeit late, lets not forget the Bug Me videos... They are on youtube.
http://youtu.be/-OOwrsOmXJc
one of the most valuable videos ever.
You can watch an engine being rebuilt, the volume 8 is for the type 4, but
start at volume one for you 1600 type 1 fellahs.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Christophe Guilbert <
cguilbert at picasso.ucsf.edu> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> First, I really would like to thanks everyone in this list who help me
> diagnose my engine problem.
> I finally decided to rebuild my 2.0L CA (vanagon 1983) engine. I am
> starting tomorrow and hope to finish within a week.
>
> I have great expectation with this new engine and plan to reach the arctic
> circle (CA -> Alaska) with my kids next summer !
>
> I would really appreciate the experiences and tips of those who rebuilt
> this engine. Any tips to make it more reliable and more powerful than the
> original one. Any tips concerning parts which can't be find anymore.
> Manufacturer , etc ....
>
> Here are some of those questions (non exhaustive list)
> 1) What is the best head out there
> 2) Parts to upgrade for more power.
> 3) Engine enhancement strategy , better oil cooling system, ....
> 4) Incorporate a temp sensor (at a different location than the sparking
> plug)
> 5) Where I can find a mechanic to balance the engine in California (bay
> area)
> 6) I remember someone mention ( a long time ago) a sealant which was use
> to seal airplane Aluminum Engine , does anyone remind me what it was ?
> 7) Any any tips to enhance the rebuild engine would be welcome.
>

> I promise that I'll create a  nice website (with pics)  with a compilation
> of all the improvements including of course the new spec of the engine once
> installed on my baby !
>
> Thanks for any help.
> Chris , Vanagon 1983

*Joe St.Croix*