[T2] High frequency point adjustment

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 14:37:09 MST 2013

>From: "Roger Lemberg"
>>
>>Going back to my parents' 69 bus  it seems that within a very short
>>interval after changing points, there would be "transfer" of metal
>>from one face to the other.

Jamie responded:

>metal transfer comes from arcing... to reduce arcing, there is a
>capacitor [condensor] installed ... with the correct size cap,, it
>will boost the coil output by creating a resonant LC circuit with
>the coil windings
>
>if you have a large transfer of metal.. the condensor is in poor
>condition... and should be changed.

	Well put.
	I thought of saying so immediately; but Roger's original msg
said he had replaced the condenser (correct nostalgic term :-[) and
so I thought the cause of trouble must be elsewhere  -  and where,
I've never known.
	A quickly-failed, or initially defective, condenser is a
logical possibility.

>  a small amount is normal...
>that metal bump makes it hard to set point "gap" with a feeler gage,
>and is better to adj with a dwell meter.

	check