[T2] adjusting intake air sensor

jon scintilla_22 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 4 13:17:21 MST 2013

HI Christophe,
                       Depends upon how much $ you want to spend. I
would just replace the one bad cylinder-IF that is the problem. 110
isn't great but will work for a long time. My low compression was due to
a loose valve seat in that cylinder.  Lucky it didn't fall out , break
the valve, and trash the engine.  The P&C were/are ok.  Depending upon
how you are financially I would pull the engine and have a look before
making a commitment.  If that cylinder looks good, no scoring on the
cylinder or piston and rings in OK shape, I would have the head checked
for loose seats. I have had RIMCO rebuild a head, but currently use a
cheapo rebuild from AVP.  RIMCO took too long (3 months) and I was in a
time crunch. Still working fine.  Type IV bottom ends do not need to be
rebuilt as often as Type I's AFAIK.  If you have good oil pressure, I
would leave it alone.  Find a pulled vanagon engine, rebuild that one
taking your time to learn and do a good job with all the tweaks, then do
the swap.

After you get the engine built/repaired I would be sure you are running
a _*good*_ CHT gauge.  The Dakota is good, but I use an $80 Dwyer hand
held which has two inputs (and is cold junction compensated-as is the
Dakota).  I can measure the outside air temp as well as the CHT.  I find
the OAT makes a huge difference to the CHT in my van.  I (have to) drive
my van completely differently during a hot day compared to a cool night.
I am sure I over heated the heads many times in the past and I would
have never been aware of this without that tool.  I am now going even
further and installing a quad gauge so I can see all four cylinders.
$250 for the gauge + ~ $60 for leads.

http://thesensorconnection.com/gauges-pyrometers/all-gauges-pyrometers/4-channel-digital-thermocouple-pyrometer-gauge