[T2] working on engine in van

jon scintilla_22 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 4 12:47:05 MST 2013

Hi Christophe,
     I once pulled the right side ( passenger) head on my vanagon and
replaced a cylinder with the engine in the van.  I would NEVER do that
again.  Really tiring to work over the lip, about killed my back, and
hard to see precisely what you are doing.    Takes longer to do
everything.  The next time, I bought one of these (see link) and had the
engine out in about an hour.  Easy to do the removal, replacement and
engine work myself without a helper.   Much easier to work and do a
competent job.  Worth every penny.  I plan on r&r my engine again this
winter to install four CHT sensors directly into the heads and will use
the same method.   You do need to raise the van, I used ramps, to get
clearance for the engine to slide out under the bumper.

http://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-69685.html

It does help to have a (cheap) small floor-jack to put under the
transmission.  This will allow you to fine adjust the relative angle
between the engine and trans when putting the engine back into the
vehicle; big help. While the engine is out use a light chain to support
the transmission.  You MUST support the trans near it's original
position or you *_will_* damage the CV joints/boots.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-compact-trolley-jack-68783.html
Reviews say to bleed air and add oil before use.  Probably a good idea
for any new jack.  Lots of comparable $ jacks at Sears etc. More
expensive ones are undoubtedly superior. YMMV.

jon