[T2] Run engine on idle to charge batteries

jon scintilla_22 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 2 12:06:06 MST 2013

JohnA et.al.,
     We had an early 350 watt Honda generator in the late 80's at one of
the PWS field camps.  It ran for ~ 8 hours on one tank every Friday to
charge our battery bank while we were in town. it was quite practical
for that purpose _provided you weren't in it's vicinity_. For sure the
background noise level in Olsen Bay was as low as it gets, short of a
cave, but that thing, all 35cc or so of mighty Honda tech,  was
definitely not quiet by EU genny standards.   I also doubt you could
find a 30+ year old Honda that was working worth anything.  We have a
couple in our warehouse, but they are just taking up space. Haven't been
used in >10 years. We _never_ take anything but an EU series to the
field any more, there is no comparison in reliability, fuel efficiency,
or noise level. In an alternate life I am around thousands of generators
in the desert every Labor Day weekend.  Amongst many other things, that
event has engendered a rapid evolution in power generation
systems-solar, wind, and fossil fuel. You will get some pretty harsh
vibes if you run a construction type genset in the camping areas. Folks
would instantly loan you enough extensions to tap into their EU just to
shut it off.  Yamaha makes an equivalent series, and there is an
authorized, Chimp knock-off of the EU 1000 that has a good rep with the
RV crowd (who are very frugal, and harsh in their reviews if things
don't last).  As an aside, the inverter parts last much longer than the
motors (which last a very long time) in the Hondas.  How come no one has
come up with a replacement motor for them?  We have not been able to
find anyone who will rebuild the motors either.
MTYWTK. jon