[T2] Run engine on idle to charge batteries

Sami Dakhlia sami.dakhlia at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 04:33:13 MST 2013

I'm actually wondering if it would not make sense to run at sustained
rpm, maybe 1500 or 2000 rpm, charging perhaps being both faster and
more energy efficient?

On 2 oct. 2013, at 13:19, Daniel Martinelli <daniel.martinelli at gmx.ch> wrote:

Dear Martin

Thanks for your suggestions. I actually do have a small PV charger to keep
my starter battery nicely filled, if the bus is not used for a while, which
really works well.
Sure I could install solar panels on my poptop or get a generator. Having
already three batteries :) I think I am well equipped in that department.

But, I would really like to know if running the engine on idle for a couple
of hours would do any damage to it.

Cheers

Daniel

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM, Martin Mikush <martinmikush at gmail.com>wrote:

> You can use a simple solar charger instead :
> http://dx.com/p/12v-85ma-solar-power-car-battery-recharging-panel-8506
> there are many of these under 50 $ , adding second battery is a must for
> camping .
>
> Cheers
>
> Martin M
>

> On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Daniel Martinelli
> <daniel.martinelli at gmx.ch>wrote:
>
>> Dear all
>>
>> I have quite a view electric appliances in my bus. So if I go camping
> (off
>> campgrounds)  I sometimes run low on battery power. Now if I would run my
>> engine on idle for a couple of hours (I have a T2ab with an alternator),
>> could I top up my batteries or could this be a problem for the engine
> (wear
>> of the bearings or other issues)?
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Cheers!