[T2] Steering wheel

Jamie jrivers at globalserve.net
Wed Nov 27 20:04:37 MST 2013

----- Original Message -----
> I'm having trouble removing my steering wheel.  Do they make a puller for
> that small of a wheel?
> Does anyone have a trick for getting it off?
> 1974 Tin top Westy

http://type2.com/archive/t2/998/95Hiya  Mark,

In several postings here at Type 2 you have mentioned that you  have drilled
holes in the hub of early baywindow steering wheels for easier  removal.?
Makes a lot of sense to me.? I?really don't want to have to take a  chance
on
wrecking the plastic when I pull the wheel, especially after  restoring the
wheel.

But I do have a question for you............how do  you account for the turn
signal canceling ring?? It looks to me like I'm going  to have to drill
though
that also.? And it also looks like drilling through it  will turn it into a
piece of swiss cheese.? That's pretty much what happened  when I drilled the
wheel already in place in the bus in order to remove it  (and that removal
went
very well - thanks!).

Is there something I'm  overlooking here?? Any details you may be able to
provide will certainly be  appreciated.

Mike

1970 Bus - The Ruptured  Duck

Hello Mike   Other than using the correct steering wheel puller,  Which I
got
a chance to see at buses on the River, the other choices are to make  your
own or drill holes and tap them. The correct tool looks a lot like a tie
rod
remover, difference is that the bolt part has a tapered end that pushes on
the
steering shaft . It pays to keep the nut loosened but still in place to keep
the sharft from spreading out. I have seen some homemade ones also. these
push
 from the bottom of the wheel.  Drilling two  holes and tapping for 6mm
bolts  and then using a crows foot puller works very well. I never drill
all the
way thur so that I never get near the signal canceller  later   mark d