[T2] weighing and balancing the piston - advise

raceingcajun raceingcajun at communicomm.com
Wed Nov 13 19:43:36 MST 2013

Hi Chris,

    You would normally remove a small amount at a time from the "inner
casting rib's", from the heaviest pistons, to match them to the lightest one
in the set. Do this in several place's so as not to weaken the casting. You
should weight the pistons with the pins, to get an all up weight. I have
seen some folks weight them with the rings and wrist pin clips, but that is
a little much in my opinion. Are you going to balance the complete rotating
assembly, rods, crank, flywheel, clutch asm, crank pulley, cooling fan.and
such?
     As far as longevity go's, there are to many variables to say. I will
say this........the rules say a "BLUE PRINT" balanced engine will live
longer than an un-balanced one. One thing to consider, we don't turn our
stock VW engines very fast, and I don't think balance is much of an issue at
low RPM's. Although back in the drag race days, I had a friend who, because
of lack of money, once built a 2275 cc engine and balanced nothing. He
regularly turned it to 9500 RPM, and it lived a whole season with out
failure........ Recommended.....NO!        Just an example. By the way I
don't think he ever did balance an engine after.      Again not recommended!

Howard