[T2] engine oil pump / second oil cooler , engine improvement

Mike manikmike at gmail.com
Sun Nov 10 01:57:11 MST 2013

Hi,

Mandatory sounds odd; I don't recall seeing this - could you please point
to the source? I'm running hydraulics in my T4 2.0L... my first 2+ hour run
with the engine was this weekend, and pressure was great even after pushing
the engine to see how it would manage. By pushing, I mean extended periods
of 75-80mph down to 65-70mph, in sunny 85F weather. Passing folks I used to
get stuck behind and pulling uphill is wicked. She shed oil and head heat
well.

I did a *ton *of reading on this - for late model bays, so I'm not certain
on case differences between our rigs - consensus was as mentioned: Stock is
adequate if not the best choice, unless you're trying to build a monster
engine (which may not shed heat well enough to survive anyway). If it seems
particularly worn, the Samba fellow Phil I mentioned can assist. I did
this, and it appears to have been a great choice. You can somewhat gauge
the wear of the pump by the depth/ frequency of grooves within and slop
when the pump is sealed; I honestly don't have the clearance specs off the
top of my head.

Tangent: Please be aware that you may run into clearance issues with an
aftermarket cam and a stock T4 oil pump between the aftermarket cam gears
bolts (even if the cam gear bolts are low-profile) and the pump bolts or
the fixed shaft of the driven gear (where the drive gear is the one
interacting with/ tabbed into the cam) if it sticks out of the oil pump
casing (which may also indicate it needs to be persuaded inwards). Some
Dremel'ing may be in order - so check fitment before sealing the case
halves. I did not; while it appeared* I had clearance needed, I had to
split the case (and clean sealant, etc.) to make mods and be sure.  *Using
Silly Putty, it appears I had cut away what was needed, but my OCD
pressured me into seeing it clearly, so I tore the case apart.

That said, provided the oil galleys line up, there's no end force on the
pump drive shaft (Dremel mod may be needed hear to avoid this), the pump
drive gear tab seats far enough in cam groove, no clearance issues with an
aftermarket cam gear bolts (can still happen apparently), or case fitment
issues (I found this with a loaner T1 pump, where the pump OD was a touch
too small for the case), then a T1 should work. If you're determined to go
full-flow, a 30mm should do it. Some reading on T1 pumps <
http://www.billsbangers.com/vwbilltodd/oilpumps.html>. You may need
different sized & stepped case studs, and have to find and modify the T1
cover by cutting a corner off if the pump doesn't come with one, along with
aforementioned concerns.

For me, despite the clearance issue I ran into, I was more confident
sticking with stock for my rebuild, especially after Phil blueprinted it. I
have some pics of the clearance issues I can pitch if useful.