[T2] Fuel Gauge Reliability

John Burneskis john.burneskis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 09:41:55 MST 2013

> Tony asks ---

> BTW, is there a replacement speedometer for a type 2 with a trip odometer...
> More to the point, was there an optional speedo with a trip odometer...?

> Tony in NJ
> W.A.S.T.E.

Tony, I have used the MPH Vanagon speedometer (1980-1981) in two of my
late bay(s).

I have one right now in my '78/'73 bay.  It works great.  I tend to
stop  for gas at 100 - 120 miles on the trip-meter, since my gas gauge
drops to empty somewhere around 100 miles.  At least I am not shocked
when I see the needle at EMPTY if  I see I have less than 120 miles
recorded on the trip-meter.

I replaced the speedometer glass face with a Plexiglas piece, so I
could drill a hole for the reset "button" for the trip-meter.  Of
course, you could drill a ole in the GLASS, which I did at first, but
I tightened the instrument cluster too much and broke the glass, where
the hole was drilled.

Barry Burneskis
Springfield VA