[T2] fuel gauge unreliability

doktortim at rockisland.com doktortim at rockisland.com
Wed Nov 6 08:05:17 MST 2013

> I've been lucky with my bus but one of my beetles left me stranded twice.
>
> Now when I fill up I use my cell phone to take a picture of the odometer.
>
> I only drive 150-175 miles then fill up.
>
> That solved that problem.

For a buck or two you can get a little stick on odo reference. Just a set
of number wheels you can set when you fill up. At a glance you will know
when you have gone 150 miles or whatever.

The problem is wear of the sending unit. After 40 years the contact gets
worn and hangs intermitently and becomes unreliable.