[T2] Alternator charging?

C. Dreike c.dreike at verizon.net
Sun Nov 3 15:08:08 MST 2013

Richard,

I believe you need at least 13.75V for the battery to charge. Some
systems go as high as 14V.
Measure the battery voltage at the terminals with the engine and all
electricals OFF.
Start the engine and measure once again. There should be a very
measurable difference.

How accurate is your meter?

To check the meter you can use some brand new alkaline batteries. AA
cells work well. Each battery should measure approximately 1.60V.
Place several in series and see if the multiple of the battery voltage
is close to what your meter reads. 4 cells should give you 6.4V. If
you are within a few percent of that, you should be getting good
readings at 13-14V.

I just checked 2 Duracells and 2 Energizers. The 1.60V number appears
to be good. My meter is an almost new Fluke 87 with a calibration cert
good for another year.

Chris

Scientists seek to understand what is,
while engineers seek to create what never was.
As the "Bad Astronomer" Phil Plait says, "Teach a man to reason, and
he can think for a lifetime."