[T2] travailing out to CA again & GPS systems

Mike Benthin muts at verizon.net
Thu Jun 20 08:34:29 MST 2013

Garmin can't find a lot of places by name- I don't have it in front of
me, but there are "Points of Interest" files that can be upoaded to the
Garmin (stick a 4g sd card in its slot for overflow memory).  Google POI
files and these have been created for campgrounds, etc.  These can also
be inserted into Streets and Trips as pushpins.  TYhey are just excel
files with coordinates and names. Then a search on the HGarmin will
find them.  Me, on the road I use the laptop with Streets and Trips to
get an overview of where we will in X hrs be to find a campground or a
Walmart to boondock at.  The GPS finder usb'ed to the laptop shows right
on Streets and trips where we are, a much better overview than the
Garmin when you tap it for a map view. A campground Book or Google maps
if you have a smartphone will help to find campgrounds near where you
are going, then look them up for an address in the book or get
coordinates in Google by right clicking a street in map view and then
select "What's here" The coordinates whill be shown in decimal form and
you can enter it into the Garmin under "Coordinates" in the search
options.  I think under coordinates it allows a formatting of styles
lijke degrees, minuetsm, seconds, but you want decimal. It then uses the
decimal system for entering NS followed by EW (we are west) to 5 places
decimal.  Before hitting go, hit next or save to name the coordinates
which will be saved to favorites.  We did this for all the places we
wanted to go before a trip which made navigation easy.   Usually Streets
and trips will show the address also when you enter the coordinates, and
you can follow along (as the passenger) to warn of streets or forks
coming up, or POI on the way.

Kevin Guarnotta wrote:
I've tried my address
and a couple different state parks we are planning on visiting - but it
can't seem to find them. I am thinking that I'm missing some really basic
thing - but I can't quite figure out what that is.