[T2] Starting '74 Westy 1.8..for the first fire

Joe Average joeaverage at frontiernet.net
Mon Jun 10 14:29:08 MST 2013

On 06/09/2013 04:55 PM, Squid wrote:
> ....and want to know what to do before I try and 'fire' it!  How do
> you 'preload' the ..oiling system?

I preload the oiling system on any engine for the first startup. The
assembly lube ought to protect things but I prefer to pull the coil +
wire and crank the engine until the oil pressure light goes off. As the
article says - remove the oil pressure switch and crank until the oil
comes out the sensor hole. I agree on the rest of the procedure i think.
Probably want to static time the distributor and static balance the
carbs first.

Chris in TN