[T2] 'little electrical box'

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 19:12:01 MST 2013

>Early for of computer diagnostics.  I have one of them on my '72.

	My '73 1600dp has a translucent plastic box there, with many
wires coming in (from usu traceable places in the electrical system),
offering a dozen small sockets in columns on both sides of 2 pairs of
heftier copper sockets.
	I assume there existed a computer, supplied initially to VW
dealers/approved workshops, which plugged by c.16 pins into this
array of sockets.
	 My guess is it would readily read dwell, points resistance,
etc etc.  Given instead the mighty Australian  VANE  TUNESCOPE, which
connects inductively to HT & LT, I fail to imagine what that computer
could have done better.  But most owners lack a Vane, so if anyone
has a relic VW diagnostic computer, it would be worth something.  If
they are rare but can be kept working (how many computers from 4
decades ago can??), a group of VW enthusiasts might even cooperate to
buy one, and bring it to Buses of the Corn, etc.
	I just hope it doesn't require to be connected by phone line
to Wolfsburg as some early Buick etc dealers' diagnostic computers
became useless when the phone line to Detroit was down.

	I dare say one could purge this diagnostics socket, but I see
little advantage since it doesn't take much room; and I can vaguely
imagine some defects in the electrical system could be caused by the
resulting re/de-connections  ... :-[

Robt Mann
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand
'73 VW 1600dp Devon camper