[T2] Bus A/C

David Schwarze dschwarze at dfwair.net
Mon Jul 22 18:16:24 MST 2013

Wow, a lot of questions!  :-)

The compressor was a Sanden SD-508 if I recall.  Bought it used.  It has no pistons, it is a rotary compressor.

I used the factory condenser.  It is not ideal, but at least it is large.
Temps at the vents vary depending on fan speed and outside temp.  Can be anywhere from low 40s (low fan speed, 80 degrees outside) to low 60s (high fan speed, 100 degrees outside).
Yes I think newer/additional condenser would help, as would more airflow through the condenser.  I used the stock fans which don't move very much air.
No thermostat, it never gets cold enough to freeze the evaporator.
I used freeze-12 at one time, but went to 134a because it was cheaper and I didn't need a license to buy it.  I think the freeze-12 did work a little better.
The stock system used an expansion valve and I stuck with that.
I had all new hoses made at a shop that specializes in that sort of thing (big trucks, hydraulics, etc).  Cost about $250 for all of the hoses and fittings.  I kept all of the R-12 connectors since I will be the last owner of my bus (after 25 years, I'm pretty sure of that).

I have had lots of issues over the years, can't cover them all here.  Feel free to ask specific questions.  My system does seem to be limited by the condenser and/or airflow, I bet a condenser designed for 134a with better airflow would help.  But, it's still a godsend to have it.

Here is a picture from about 8 years ago before the TD conversion.  I made a bracket to hold the compressor and a second alternator (from a BMW 5-series) on top of the fan housing.  It is driven by a Porsche 912 drive pulley assembly:

http://motorheads.net/vw/DCP_5495.JPG

It would probably be easier to use the kit that Bus Depot sells...

-David