[T2] Rust, dirt, exhaust, and everything after

Paul Hummer paul at eventuallyanyway.com
Sun Jul 21 10:48:32 MST 2013

Hi Typer2ers,

  Resident suburban hobbyist in over my head here. I pulled my engine a
while ago and finally getting around to working on it (it's been on a
stand, I just haven't had time to work on it uninterrupted for a few
hours).  The first thing I want to do is pull the exhaust so it's a little
easier to work on (and the current goal is to get it to a machine shop for
an engine boil, because I don't think the engine has ever been pulled).
 Unfortunately, this is what that area looks like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wbllz3l9ek7a5mk/2013-07-20%2010.40.15.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bb0bgj2cnqwabd3/2013-07-20%2010.40.42.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4tcuju3qf1re6x/2013-07-20%2010.40.21.jpg

Rust and time seem to have fused everything together. I want to go very
slow on this, because I'm pretty sure a new exhaust is going to be $$$$,
which I'm okay with if I *have* to replace it, but it looks like everything
is copacetic there, and it just needs a little resto-ing.

So here's my question to the oracles of Type 2: how do I get these bolts
off? I don't want to break them, so is there some rust eating chemical I
could treat this with first?  Once I get those bolts off, how do I clean up
the exhaust and restore it? Wire wheel on the rust, and then some high temp
paint on the exhaust to seal it off?

Cheers,
Paul