[T2] Bus A/C

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 18:57:09 MST 2013

Richard Jack wrote:

>I saw a bus at the VW show in Fredericksburg,
>TX, this last April.  The bus is a late bay
>westy that was primer outside, orange inside. It
>had a cool setup for A/C compressor and an
>alternator that all ran off a Honda small gas
>motor, outside the rear of the bus.
>
>Does anyone on the list know who's bus
>I'm asking about , or might he actually be
>on this list?
>
>I'd like to ask him some question, so I could do the same.

	I take it those strings of characters are
some Gates glitch, not swear-words censored by
GoogleMail <:-|

	As one who happens to live in a temperate
climate where A/C is hardly needed, I have v
little experience with A/C.
	But I make bold to offer a few quips.

1.  If you have „ 50 shaft hp in the vehicle, and
can afford a small fraction of that to divert to
A/C, wouldn't you want to minimise the machinery
involved?  Adding a 2nd engine seems like an
almost desperate recourse.  Furthermore it could
be exposed to damage or theft (part or whole).  I
admit it will work when the vehicle is shut down.
I just hope its noise isn't too much for the
campsite :-[

2.  It may not be v easy to slap in a bigger
alternator, but might that not be a better start
to getting the power for A/C (up to some limit W
not kW)?  I realise youse yanks in the Heat Belt
this month believe firmly that you need kW :-D

3.  Or might not another power-takeoff pulley be
fitted, approx as for the Judson supercharger, to
drive the A/C more directly thru a new V-belt?
With any luck an AX belt could suffice?

4.  I serve notice of imminent trials (well, I'll
need our 'hot' weather some months in future, for
real testing) of a micro-swampcooler with no
moving parts: I've slapped an oblong of EU3
polyester A/C air filter immediately inside the
intake grille just below the windscreen (better
google that exotic term, youse yanks :-X).  The
idea is to drip onto that filter water which will
evaporate quickly during driving in low-RH air.
The air coming out of those excellent louvres in
the dashboard will then be cooler (and more
humid, but I'm hoping that will not matter too
much).
	Swamp-cooler experts please critique ...
I expect at least the 'low W' criticism  ...  but
the $/W could look red-hot 8-)

--
Robt Mann
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand