[T2] Help-alternator bolt stripped

Mike Benthin muts at verizon.net
Thu Jul 18 20:53:36 MST 2013

Daughter borrowed 78 camper to take friends swimming, noted the red
light came on after she had trouble shifting to 3rd and overrevved
it....  She checked and noted belt had hopped off (was loose?) and she
and friend got it back Upside Down!  Horrible shrieking!  I got to her
with tools and could not loosen the adjustor bolt, stripped hole for the
6mm allen wrench.  Noted that the bolt was tight but you could move the
alternator around- bad bracket or loose holding fixed bolt? We got the
belt off and turned it over, using 7/8" wrench to turn alternator as
belt was worked over its pulley.  Started OK, drove home in dark with
voltage over 13. Now, do I use a vise grip, cut a slot for screwdriver
with dremyl, weld an allen into the hole, cut off bolt head and hope it
will back out with fine plier, or jam a filed 7mm allen into the hole?
Anyone change this @&*^#$ bolt for a cap bolt a socket will work on?

MUTS Oboe/EH support = Michael's Ultimate Thumb Saver
93 Chevy Roadtrek 210P
78 VW Westfalia Camper