[T2] color of tarps

jon scintilla_22 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 17 20:05:33 MST 2013

In my extensive experience playing with tarps in the playa desert sun,
*_only_* the silver tarps are acceptable as shade structures.
www.canopymasters.com are who I purchase mine from; excellent service
and the fittings + ball bungees make putting together a**_durable_ shade
structure a snap. ALL other tarps let through some part of the
spectrum.  White seem to be the worst.  I have to wear sunglasses inside
a white tarp shelter during the day: my eyes are watering and extremely
painful without them. Opaque surfaces, i.e. metal, coated with pure
white paint are superior reflectors to those painted silver, however
white tarps are neither opaque nor pure white.

Our experience has also shown that a second layer, spaced 6 inches down
inside, nets an additional 10 degrees temp drop.  All tarps re-radiate
heat inside, they are tarps not insulators.  The second, inside, tarp
only has to deal with IR spectrum energy, not the full spectrum the
outside one does.

For cool in the sun try a polyiso  hexayurt.  http://hexayurt.com/ There
are fold flat designs on that page.

YMMV. jon