[T2] power steering

David Raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Wed Jul 10 09:40:06 MST 2013

On Wed, 10 Jul 2013, Joe Average wrote:

> Ideally a power steering adapt ought to use a powered ram on the steering
> under the bus so that the steering box is not stressed ala '60s Ford where
> their power steering was more or less an add on. Now how you'd power that

Not a bad idea - though those rams were really more trouble than they were
worth.

> an a/c compressor let alone a power steering pump I don't know. Maybe there
> would be an electric power steering pump to source somewhere. I certainly
> wouldn't want to give up 2-3 HP in a vehicle with only 60 HP to power a pump.

That's the easy part.  I've seen seen nice standalone electric
powersteering pump packages somewhere in the racer catalogs.

The -great- thing about them is that they're only on on-demand, so unlike
a regular pump you don't have to run it until you want the boost.

Lots of late model cars have them these days (they started going that
route before going to the electric motor assist wierdness they're playing
with now...), the one in the 02-06 (-08 for the cabrio) MINI is a nice and
small package, would tuck next to a frame rail easily, and is already
designed to live under the car. ;)

--
         David Raistrick    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
keen at icantclick.org             ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail