[T2] Fwd: Re: fuel pumps

Jack Dinan jdinan at cox.net
Thu Aug 22 14:47:58 MST 2013

>I'll try to round up some pumps and duplicate your experiment,,, and
>give you my opinion,,
>might be a few days .. if that is ok

Jamie: I gave this a lot of thought today. I've studied the cut-away
view of the vw fuel pump in Bentley fuel section. I've changed my
mind about the usefulness of testing a pump by drawing vacuum on the
two ports.

Input port. It is ok to draw vacuum on this port, but all it does is
test the integrity of what Bentley refers to as the suction valve. If
that valve holds properly, then the vacuum gauge will read a high
number but no info on the diaphragm can be gotten from this.

Output port:  Drawing vacuum on this port will tend to open the
"delivery valve" and draw air all the way to and through the input
port. Again, no information on the diaphragm can be gotten. I tested
this hypothesis by holding my finger on the input port while drawing
vacuum with the mityvac on the output port. The gauge read 15 and
held.

I repeated this on another pump. Same result.

So thank you for offering to test yours, but that might not be necessary.

On the other hand, my explanation might be totally wrong. :-(

jack