[T2] warning: fuel pump minutiae

E Burtis ewdb92 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 22 12:24:36 MST 2013

It's been awhile and I can't recall the exact fuel pressure, but I know
it was 2 psi or slightly less.  I checked the overall height the pump is raised by the gaskets and it is lifted 5mm off the bakelite spacer.  I
didn't measure the push rod when I got the bus because, at the time, I
thought all pumps/push rods were created equal, but since my 71 has a
generator, I'll assume the longer gen push rod (no grinding) was used.
The carbs work really well and I get about 20 mpg highway on my 1600.
________________________________

Erik and others: I've done both today. I inserted gaskets and ground
a couple of mm off of the rod. The pressure after these changes
dropped from 7 to 6 psi. I've checked the gauge on another 1776 that
I've got. It reads 3psi for that pump.

Have those of you who have inserted gaskets actually measured the
pressure afterwards? If so and if it really does go down to 2 - 3
psi, then I'm really confused.

As I mentioned, the stroke for my push rod is 4.3 mm. Evidently, I
have to lower the rod (or raise the pump) enough to have only a
fraction of this 4.3mm push on the lever.

Thanks for your comments. I'm on the verge of ordering a regulator.