[T2] fw warning: Desert Washes

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 14:27:30 MST 2013

>>This is why you don't camp in washes or dry river beds in the
>>desert. It doesn't have to rain where you are camped to get washed
>>away.  For those of you who don't understand the BIG, DRY rivers in
>>the Southwest and West and the cautions associated with them, watch
>>this!
>>
>>http://www.youtube.com/embed/_yCnQuILmsM

>WOW !

	That was indeed the intended effect on listees.
	The basic msg of this video is relevant to campers, esp those
who have not resided in 'dry wash' regions.
	Mind you, if I had  to get caught in such a log-fronted
pseudotsunami, a VW camper would be one of the least dangerous
vehicles to be caught in :-|
	 It is not an untested hypothesis that tourists can camp in
dry washes when there's no evidence of rain nearby in time or space.
I did just that on my honeymoon.  The fact that no mobile logs came
down that gulch was just a lucky fluke ;-).  Providence was smiling
on me & my bride, notwithstanding the fact I'd departed temporarily
from the VW clan, seduced by the walnut veneer and quiet of a '68
Rover 2000.

	Of course, the biggest log-fronted pseudotsunamis will be in
Texaw (rhymes with Arkansaw).
	And of course my small island is not too small to develop
such grand phenomena <:-|

	To spread this warning, bumper stickers might be contrived.
But at least a still of the log-front is needed for impact, with
nearby words of a bumper-sticker terseness
  What's a DRY Gulch?
  Dry Gulched?
  One  4-ft Log Can Ruin  Your Jalousies
   etc.
	The pic is so arresting it shouldn't be on a bumper sticker
or oriented for display to those driving.

	Posters could be displayed at suitable places  -  on wall of
camper-van rental showroom?  Insect-check stop at state border?
Lounge at border, Brownsville/Matamoros, while they dismantle your
aircleaner??

	Anyhow, let's spread the warning.

Robt Mann
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand