[T2] Fwd: Drive shaft bolts & washers

Sami Dakhlia sami.dakhlia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 22:23:51 MST 2013

Quick follow-up on the broken shaft bolts and washers. Flew back to
California last night to find a priority envelope mailed from Alaska by a
farsighted listmember, who figured that if I broke CV bolts, I probably
also lost some of the 3 C-shaped plates. Thank you, John!

Got to work this morning and here's the deal: 3 bolts sheared off, 1 loose,
2 gone. Checked the other 18 bolts and they were also loose...  Removing
the sheared bolts fortunately turned out to be relatively painless and I'm
counting my blessings!

A final remark on the washers: ETKA lists reference number N0153711, which
is a 8.4 x 13 x 0.8 (ID x OD x thickness in mm). I ordered a 100-pack from
the belt-metric link that Richard Coombs shared with the list and that seem
to be very close to spec. They are Schnorr (or misspelled Schnoor)
retaining washer, a version of the Belleville washer, look it up on
wikipedia, good for high vibrations applications.  If anybody needs some,
drop me a line!

Off to San Diego tomorrow. Will have missed the Big Wednesday at San
Onofre, but will stop by anyway.

Thank you all for the help and feedback. Awesome list!

Sami
'75 Westy in California
'79 'vert in France
type2.com/dakhlia