1984 Mercedes-Benz 300D
I bought this Mercedes-Benz 300D turbo diesel in October of 1998. I sold my '81 Vanagon
Westfalia camper to finance the purchase.
The vital stats:
- VIN: WDBAB33A3EA087848
- 3.0L inline five-cylinder engine, front-mounted and water-cooled.
- 170 SAE net horsepower at 2400 rpm.
- 170 lb-ft SAE net torque at 2400 rpm.
- 21.5:1 compression ratio.
- Chain-driven single overhead camshaft, 2 valves per cylinder.
- Cast iron block and cylinder head.
- Rear-wheel drive.
- 6" x 14" alloy wheels.
- Bosch 55-amp alternator
- Four-wheel coil spring independent suspension.
- Recirculating ball steering, power-assisted.
- Four-speed automatic transmission.
- Bosch mechanical (diesel) fuel injection.
- Four-wheel disc brakes, power-assisted.
- Wheelbase: 110.0" (9.2 feet).
- Length: 190.9" (15.9 feet).
- Width: 70.3" (5.9 feet).
- Height: 56.6" (4.7 feet).
- Seating for 5 occupants, including driver.
- Leather seats
- Steel sliding power sunroof
- Power windows
- Central locking system (vacuum-operated)
- Automatic climate control
- Cruise control
This was a great car and after 2 years driving it I decided to move on and get something newer. The Mercedes was very solid and reliable. It wasn't the fastest but with the turbo it had plenty of power and got good mileage. Unfortunately, it had an automatic transmission which got boring eventually. All around a very nice car, though. I still miss the smell of diesel exhaust...
Click on the thumbnail below for a larger photo: